For the illustration assignment we were asked to pick a song and create an illustration/poster based on this song.
The song i cjoose was Herr Drosselmeyer’s Doll by Abney park.
There is no opportunity to use text in the poster. The illustration must be in the format 210 x 300 mm, with a resolution of 300ppi and a 3 mm bleed.
Idea Development :
I wanted to illustrate the doll as a ballerina on a stage, as the songs lyrics portray her. The target group of the band/song is steampunk and or victorian inspired individuals. I wanted to illustrate this in the clothing of the ballerina and Herr Drosselmeyer, emphasizing the victorian style in favor over a steampunk look.I started to draw the doll/ballerina first and then developed the rest of the illustration around her as she will be the focal point and main focus of the illustration.
Illustration Style :
I decided to go for a painterly and drawn style.Albeit a tad cartoony, it gave the illustration some extra flare concerning the colours choosen.I gave the doll an unnatural hair colour and “blank/colorless” eyes to emphasize the fact that she is “unreal” so to speak, as the song portrays her.
I started with some very raw sketches to form a vague idea of what i wanted the illustration to contain. Some sketches of ballet poses and a man in the shadows as i wanted Herr Drosselmeyer to be a bit of a mystery. After getting the essence of the idea down, i started sketching digitally, as i would have a better grasp of what colours i would be using and change things around more easily as i experimented with different colour schemes. I added a pocket watch to illustrate time passed in the illustration and the end of the show. This is when Herr Drosselmeyer need to rewind the doll for the next show.
The stage, curtains and audiende i sketched out in Adobe Illustrator. Other than that i spent most of the time painting in Photoshop on 1-2 Layers, keeping things simple. I did not really want the audience to show too well, as i felt it could draw the focus away from the main focal point in the illustration. On the printout they are mere shasows as i intended.
In the end i got the result i intended, however, In the future i am going to play around more with textures instead of drawing everything by hand, i feel that it would greatly improve and add to my illustrations and in turn giving them a dash of realism.
I was considering recreating a logo in Illustrator and adding to the image but i did not find a good spot for it and feared this would ruin the focal points in the rest of the illustration. However i feel i stayed true to the rule of thirds.
Thank you for reading and enjoy the sketches.